A series of female characters from several Disney animated films who are advertised and promoted as princesses make up the Disney Princess franchise. The Walt Disney Company officially recognised Disney Princesses. There are currently thirteen recognised Disney princesses after an increase in the number of characters over time. Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Tiana, Mulan, Merida, Pocahontas, Rapunzel, Moana, and Raya are the names of Disney princesses.
Let’s have fun by reading each of these lovely and endearing Disney Princesses in turn, along with some fascinating entertaining facts that we can all enjoy learning.
The names of these charming 13 Disney Princesses are jotted down below with their movie and released year.
- Snow White – Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
- Cinderella – Cinderella (1950)
- Aurora (Briar Rose) – Sleeping Beauty (1959)
- Ariel – The Little Mermaid (1989)
- Belle – Beauty and the Beast (1991)
- Jasmine – Aladdin (1992)
- Pocahontas – Pocahontas (1995)
- Mulan – Mulan (1998)
- Tiana – The Princess and the Frog (2009)
- Rapunzel – Tangled (2010)
- Merida – Brave (2012)
- Moana – Moana (2016)
- Raya – Raya and the Last Dragon (2022)
1. Snow White
One of the most famous Disney Princesses is Snow White. In the 1937 animated feature “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” she made her screen debut. In addition to her beauty and goodness, Snow White is well-known for her classic song, “Someday My Prince Will Come.” The movie portrays the tale of Snow White, a princess who hides from her wicked stepmother, the Queen, and makes friends with seven dwarfs. Characterized as the original Disney Princess, Snow White has grown to be a revered part of the company’s history.
Fun Facts :
- The first ever Disney Princess was Snow White. In 1937, she directed “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” which launched the Disney Princess series.
- Adriana Caselotti supplied the Snow White voice. When she got the job, she was 19 years old, and the pay was a flat $970. Caselotti’s voice was seen as unique and contributed to giving the character life.
- The first ever full-length animated feature film was “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”. At the time, it represented a significant advancement in animation.
- An iconic aspect of Snow White’s persona is her attire. It has a blue bodice with a yellow skirt and a high white collar with puff sleeves.
- Many following Disney Princesses took their cues from Snow White, and she has remained a timeless representation of grace, generosity, and the allure of traditional fairy tales.
Cinderella is another beloved Disney Princess. She first appeared in the animated film “Cinderella,” which was released in 1950. The story follows Cinderella, a young girl who is mistreated by her stepmother and stepsisters but ultimately finds her happily ever after with the help of her fairy godmother. Cinderella is known for her perseverance, kindness, and iconic glass slipper. The film has become a classic, and Cinderella’s tale of transformation has captivated audiences for generations. She is often seen as a symbol of hope, inner strength, and the power of dreams.
Fun Facts :
- Ilene Woods, who was chosen for the voice part when Walt Disney heard her singing on a demo tape, provides the voice of Cinderella.
- One of Cinderella’s most famous songs is “A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes”. This music was composed by Al Hoffman, Jerry Livingston, and Mack David.
- The story’s central component is Cinderella’s glass slipper. It’s interesting to note that Cinderella’s slipper was made of fur in the original Charles Perrault fairy tale. Disney, on the other hand, chose to show it as a glass slipper, and this image has since become synonymous with the figure.
- Known as Cinderella Castle, Cinderella’s Castle is a key element at Disney theme parks all over the world. The most well-known one is in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom in Florida.
- One of Disney’s most well-known and adored princesses is Cinderella. Audiences of all ages continue to be moved by her tale of change, tenacity, and kindness.
One of the most recognizable Disney Princesses is Aurora, additionally referred to as Briar Rose. She made her debut in the 1959 animated feature “Sleeping Beauty.” Young Princess Aurora is elegant and kind, and she charms spectators with her endearing character and ageless beauty. Aurora exhibits compassion and kindness throughout the movie. She is renowned for her kind disposition and love of the outdoors and animals. Her voluminous golden hair, gorgeous violet eyes, and breathtaking pink and blue ball gown define Aurora’s timeless appearance. The heroic journey of Aurora exemplifies the strength of love and the victory of good over evil. Aurora emerges from her profound sleep with the aid of her true love, Prince Phillip, and the enchantment of the fairies, and they go on to live happily ever after. The persona of Aurora stands for optimism and faith in the efficacy of real love. As one of the beloved Disney Princesses, she continues to inspire generations of admirers with her charm and timeless appeal.
Fun facts :
- The solo song “Once Upon a Dream” performed by Aurora, who has a great singing voice, has grown to become one of the most iconic musical moments in Disney history.
2. The princess’s name was Aurora in the original version of Charles Perrault’s “Sleeping Beauty” fairy tale. In the Disney film adaption, she is referred to as Briar Rose most frequently.
3. Of all the Disney Princesses, Aurora gets the least amount of screen time. In the whole “Sleeping Beauty” movie, she only speaks for roughly 18 minutes.
4. Other Disney Princesses, such as Princess Eilonwy in “The Black Cauldron,” and Princess Aurora in “Maleficent,” have drawn inspiration from Aurora’s delicate and ethereal beauty.
5. Frequently spotted in Disney theme parks across the globe, Aurora welcomes guests and participates in parades and events, giving fans the chance to meet the charming princess up close.
When she first appeared in the 1989 animated picture “The Little Mermaid,” Ariel, the vivacious and daring Disney Princess, won over the hearts of the audience. Ariel yearned to explore the human world and escape the restrictions of her aquatic life as a young, inquisitive mermaid. Ariel stood out among the Disney Princesses thanks to her vivid, flowing red hair, sparkling green tail, and voice that could enchant anybody who heard it.The adventure of Ariel was both thrilling and difficult. She set off on wonderful adventures with her faithful companions Flounder and Sebastian, learning about human artefacts and culture as she went.Ariel’s impact goes beyond the confines of her cartoon movie. Her persona has appeared in follow-ups, television shows, products, and theme park experiences, allowing fans to get to know her even better. Ariel is a cherished and enduring Disney Princess whose personality and allure will attract future generations because of her story of embracing uniqueness, pursuing one’s aspirations, and the power of love.
Fun Facts :
- Ariel was given her name after a character in Shakespeare’s play “The Tempest.”
- Ariel’s voice in the movie was performed by Jodi Benson. It’s interesting that she didn’t know the part she was trying out for when she went for the audition.
- Although Ariel’s tail is frequently shown as being green, the movie shows it to be more of a bluish hue. her was a marketing option to make her green in goods and advertising materials to set her apart from other mermaids.
- Ariel was supposed to have six elder sisters in the original version of “The Little Mermaid,” which was never finished. To make the tale more straightforward, they were finally removed from the actual movie.
- In some Disney theme parks, Ariel has her own attraction called “Under the Sea Journey of The Little Mermaid,” which transports guests to her underwater home.
Belle, the lead character in Disney’s animated film “Beauty and the Beast,” is a Disney Princess.Because she is one of the Disney Princesses, Belle has gained popularity among Disney fans, and her tale continues to motivate viewers all around the world. Belle frequently appears with other well-known Disney Princesses including Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel, and many more in their films. She is renowned for her brilliance, love of reading, and sympathetic personality. The story of Belle imparts valuable lessons about inner beauty, love, and the need of looking past outward manifestations.
Fun Facts :
- Given the concept of inner beauty throughout the novel, it is appropriate that Belle’s name means “beauty” in French.
- The French fairy tale “La Belle et la Bête” by Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, which was published in 1756, served as the model for Belle’s personality.
- Only Belle, a Disney Princess known for her love of reading and intelligence, is seen wearing glasses.
- The colour yellow was chosen for Belle’s ballgown because it is reminiscent of the Disney castle.
- Known for her independence, courage, and compassion, Belle is one of the most well-known and recognizable Disney Princesses.
The animated movie “Aladdin” included Jasmine, a legendary Disney Princess, when it was released in 1992. She is renowned for her exotic beauty, tenacity, and unyielding resolve. Jasmine, the daughter of the sultan of Agrabah, yearns to escape the confines of royal life and explore the outside world. Jasmine mesmerises viewers with her amazing beauty, which includes her eye-catching turquoise dress, long, black hair, and stunning eyes. But what makes her stand out most are her fiery disposition and independence. Jasmine fights for her freedom to make her own decisions and follow her heart, and isn’t afraid to go against tradition and society norms. Along the way, she meets Aladdin, the “diamond in the rough,” and the two of them overcome obstacles, go up against the evil Jafar, and learn the value of real love. Young readers are inspired by Jasmine’s tale to find their inner power, defy social conventions, and follow their goals with unyielding tenacity.
Fun Facts :
- Jasmine, who was formally welcomed into the Disney Princess series in 2001, is the sixth official Disney Princess.
- She is one of the few Disney Princesses who does not serve as the film’s main protagonist. The main focus of “Aladdin” is the title character, although Jasmine also has a big part to play.
- Rajah, a pet tiger owned by Jasmine, is intensely devoted to her and is frequently seen by her side.
- One of the few Disney Princesses, Jasmine sings a duet in the animated movie with her respective love interest, Aladdin.
- Jasmine has made appearances in a variety of Disney media, such as prequels, TV episodes, and video games, extending the reach of her character beyond the first movie.
Pocahontas, a brave and independent Disney Princess, made her debut in the 1995 animated movie “Pocahontas.” Pocahontas, who is based on the historical character, brings to life a story of love, harmony, and respect for the natural world.Pocahontas captivates spectators with her beauty and elegance as she wears flowing raven hair, tan complexion, and colourful clothing. She is renowned for being intelligent and compassionate, emphasising the value of following one’s heart, showing respect for all cultures, and appreciating the marvels of the natural world. Pocahontas is still a heroic figure who teaches us about the virtues of bravery, love, and coexistence with nature.
Fun Facts :
- The Pocahontas character was animated to look like the real-life persona. To achieve a realistic depiction, Disney animators researched Native American culture, history, and artwork.
- Pocahontas is shown as having a close bond with animals and the natural world. She can converse with her animal buddies, including Meeko the raccoon and her hummingbird friend Flit.
- Originally intended to be a child, the role of Pocahontas was changed to a young lady to give a romance aspect to the narrative.
- There are places where visitors may meet Pocahontas and take pictures with her at several Disney theme parks throughout the world.
- Pocahontas is frequently praised for her bravery since she fights for justice for her people while also promoting peace and cross-cultural harmony.
Mulan made her debut in the 1998 Disney animated picture “Mulan,” which established her as a legitimate Disney princess. She is a brave and motivated young lady who, during the Han Dynasty, poses as a man in order to replace her ailing father in the Chinese army. Mulan’s mission to save her nation from invaders is a tale of strength and gender stereotypes being challenged. Mulan exhibits bravery, wisdom, and loyalty throughout her journey. She overcomes obstacles and demonstrates her value, finally winning the respect of her fellow soldiers and rising to the status of a renowned hero. Audiences have been moved by Mulan’s character because of her tenacity, inventiveness, and unshakable loyalty to her family and nation.
Fun Facts :
- Hua Mulan, a mythical Chinese person who is thought to have lived in the Northern Wei period, served as the inspiration for the movie Mulan.
- Mulan is one of the few Disney Princesses to participate in active military service and warfare, emphasising both her physical and mental toughness.
- One of the most well-known and beloved songs in the Disney Princess canon is the enduring “Reflection” song from Mulan.
- Mulan was praised by critics and nominated for a number of honours, including the Golden Globe for Best Original Song for “Reflection.”
- Eddie Murphy, who provided the voice of Mulan’s dragon friend Mushu, made the character a hit and a comic relief throughout the movie.
The 2009 animated picture “The Princess and the Frog” marked Tiana’s screen debut as the aspirational and diligent Disney Princess. Tiana is a young African-American lady who lives in the 1920s New Orleans and has aspirations of opening her own restaurant. She exemplifies the virtues of perseverance, tenacity, and faith in the efficacy of labor-intensive effort. Tiana learns valuable lessons about love, friendship, and remaining true to oneself while experiencing several challenges, including being turned into a frog. The theme that ambitions are achievable through tenacity and resiliency is promoted through Tiana’s tale. Tiana is a symbol of the value of following one’s aspirations, overcoming obstacles, and embracing one’s cultural background thanks to her famous green dress and love of cooking. Tiana has grown to be a well-liked Disney Princess, motivating viewers with her grit, perseverance, and unflinching spirit.
Fun Facts :
- Tiana’s narrative draws significantly on the fairy tale “The Frog Prince,” but it has a special twist and a New Orleans-inspired background.
- Maddy was Tiana’s original name, but it was altered early in the production of the movie to eliminate any potential stereotypes or negative connotations.
- Tiana’s well-known green ball gown was intended to symbolise both her relationship with nature and her aspirations. The design incorporates water lily elements to symbolise her transition into a frog and her passion for her restaurant, which was initially going to be called “Lily’s Place.”
- Tiana is the only Disney Princess with a profession and business goals, emphasising the value of perseverance and hard work.
- To achieve an accurate portrayal of New Orleans and African-American culture, the character of Tiana underwent intensive research and consultation with cultural advisors.
The Disney Princess Rapunzel, who is vivacious and daring, is well-known for her long, enchanted hair and enthralling tale. In 2010, she made her screen debut in the Disney animated feature “Tangled.” The little princess Rapunzel has lived her entire life imprisoned in a tower by the evil Mother Gothel. She does, however, have a special talent: her hair can cure and rejuvenate. Rapunzel seizes the chance to go off on an exhilarating adventure of self-discovery and independence when a charming robber named Flynn Rider stumbles across her tower. Rapunzel demonstrates that she is more than simply her long hair with her undying tenacity, ingenuity, and curiosity. The tale of Rapunzel emphasizes the value of pursuing one’s goals, pushing oneself beyond of one’s comfort zone, and the strength of true love. Rapunzel has become a well-liked Disney Princess because to her upbeat and positive demeanor as well as her enduring long golden hair.
Fun Facts :
- In the movie, Rapunzel has very long and beautiful hair that is around 70 feet (21 metres) long.
- Pascal, the chameleon friend of Rapunzel, is renowned for his empathetic temperament and capacity to change colours to represent his feelings.
- The height of Rapunzel’s tower is exactly 70 steps, which corresponds to the length of her enchanted hair.
- In the history of Disney animation, the floating lantern sequence from the film “Tangled” is regarded as one of the most aesthetically striking and unforgettable scenes.
- Through her interests in painting and utilising her hair as a tool for different tasks, Rapunzel shows off her inventiveness and versatility.
The feisty and independent Disney Princess Merida, who comes from the Scottish Highlands, made her screen debut in the animated movie “Brave” in 2012. Merida, who is distinguished by her striking untamed red hair, has a spirit of adventure and a fiery drive to carve her own path. Merida yearns for freedom and the opportunity to control her own fate, rejecting conventional expectations of marriage and royal responsibilities. In her mission to break a family curse, she fights long-standing traditions and encounters legendary obstacles as her trip takes shape. Merida defies princess preconceptions and symbolizes the power and courage of a genuine warrior with her superb archery abilities and untamed personality. Merida imparts lessons about the significance of familial ties, the worth of self-discovery, and the strength of accepting one’s own self via her journey. Merida has been a treasured addition to the Disney Princess roster thanks to her vivacious temperament and strong-willed demeanor, which have won the hearts of moviegoers.
Fun Facts :
- Merida’s red hair, which was wild and curly, needed a lot of technological creativity to animate. To manage the difficulty of Merida’s thick hair, the animation team developed new software dubbed “Taz.”
- Merida’s look was modelled from traditional Scottish traits as imagined by her animators and Kelly Macdonald, who provided the character’s voice.
- Merida is a skilled archer who often shows off her extraordinary abilities throughout the movie. Her skill with a bow and arrow is a crucial aspect of her personality and adds to her independence and tenacity.
- The fact that both of Merida’s parents have key parts in her narrative sets her apart from other Disney Princesses and emphasises the value of family ties in the picture.
- Girls and young women can take inspiration from Merida’s character, who emphasises the value of being true to oneself and standing up for what one believes in.
Moana, the brave and daring Disney Princess, captures our hearts with her inspiring story of perseverance and self-discovery. A young Polynesian chief’s daughter who sets out on a perilous trip across the great ocean to save her people and mend Te Fiti’s heart, Moana was first introduced in the animated feature film “Moana” in 2016. Moana overcomes many obstacles and finds her real purpose as a wayfinder with the help of the demigod Maui, her unshakable perseverance, and her deep connection to her island’s culture and mythology. Through her incredible journey, Moana shows us how important it is to embrace our culture, have confidence in ourselves, and heed the call of the sea.Her narrative honours a young woman’s courage to go against the grain and forge her own path in order to save her people and maintain her island’s rich traditions.
Fun Facts :
- The first Disney Princess of Polynesian ancestry, Moana represents the traditions of the Pacific Islands, such as Samoa, Tonga, and Fiji.
- Many Polynesian languages have the word “ocean” in them, and Moana’s name reflects both her close relationship with the water and her trek across the Pacific.
- The 2016 film “Moana” was a critical and financial success, winning acclaim for its gorgeous animation, captivating plot, and emotive musical performances.
- The animated film “Moana” was nominated for a number of honors, including two Academy Awards for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song for “How Far I’ll Go.”
- The singing and speaking sounds for Moana were given by a teenage girl from Hawaii named Aulii Cravalho. When she was chosen to provide the character’s voice, she was just 14 years old.
The 2021 animated picture “Raya and the Last Dragon” takes us on an incredible trip with Raya, the courageous and tenacious Disney Princess. Raya, a great warrior and the daughter of the chief of Heart, one of the split districts, lives in the fantastical realm of Kumandra. Raya sets off on a mission that is full of adventure, trust, and the strength of togetherness after being tasked with locating the final dragon to protect her kingdom from an ancient evil. Raya gains important insights about forgiving others, working together, and the value of accepting diversity as she travels. Raya emerges as a formidable heroine with her excellent combat prowess and steadfast fortitude. Audiences are inspired by Raya’s bravery and drive to mend her broken environment, which serves as an example of the fortitude and resiliency needed to overcome obstacles in life. Raya is a well-liked addition to the Disney Princess Pantheon because of how her tale teaches us the importance of working together and having faith in one another in the face of difficulty.
Fun Facts :
- Kelly Marie Tran, the first actress from Southeast Asia to voice a Disney Princess, provides the voice for Raya.
- The elaborate and ornate clothes worn by Raya’s characters represent the diverse array of Southeast Asian fabrics and traditional attire.
- A supernatural creature by the name of Tuk Tuk, who like a cross between an armadillo and a pill bug, is Raya’s travelling companion. Both a means of transportation and a devoted companion, the Tuk Tuk.
- With themes of inclusion and cultural harmony, “Raya and the Last Dragon” emphasises the value of trust, togetherness, and tearing down boundaries between various groups.
- The amazing animation, gripping plot, and accurate portrayal of Southeast Asian culture in “Raya and the Last Dragon” won praise from critics. It has received appreciation for portraying a strong and capable female lead in a good and uplifting way.